Anne Holcomb's Reviews > Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones by E. Lynn Harris

Aug 12, 10

bookshelves: fiction, mysteries, sports, african-american
Read from August 05 to 12, 2010

All right, I'll admit that I picked up the audio book of "Basketball Jones" because of its cover image! : ) This is the first book I have read/listened to by E. Lynn Harris and I'm very sorry to see he passed away in 2009 because I think I am a fan. The story centers around an issue I had never really thought about before: closeted gay male athletes in professional sports.

Aldridge "AJ" Richardson is the secret boyfriend of a hot NBA player, Drayton Jones. Dray has been taking care of AJ ever since they began their relationship years ago in college. Once Dray feels the pressure to conform and marries his rich heiress wife, Judi, AJ's life begins to change drastically. At first there didn't seem to be much of a plot to this book but readers will be able to guess that eventually someone will threaten to take AJ and Dray's relationship public.

Soon the secret lovers are dealing with one (or more!) mysterious blackmailer(s) that want to tear them apart. Some of the plot twists I could see coming miles away, while others came as a total surprise. While the tone of this book overall was quite "fluffy", AJ's deliberation about whether or not to end his relationship conveys a deep emotional resonance to readers.

On the audio book version of "Basketball Jones," Narrator Mirron Willis does a truly masterful job of evoking each character with his voice. I felt like I could picture each of the characters in my head very clearly, especially AJ's new friends Jade and Cisco the trainer. I'm going to pick up Willis' narration of "Invisible Life" next!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Basketball Jones.