Cate's Reviews > The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Oct 08, 14

bookshelves: wow-this-book-sucked, high-school
Read from April 22 to May 18, 2011

The Scarlet Letter: THE WORST book I've had to read so far. I can't believe Ive actually finished this.
No, Nathaniel, it was not necessary to describe every single leaf on every single tree. you did NOT need talk about every single breeze that blew through the stupid village of those dumbass Puritains. Hawthorne, I will never read any more of your writings. EVER. I hate Puritains.

seriously, I think I would rather read Twilight.

I was falling asleep while reading this. awful, awful.

I might be Hester for Halloween thought. And get someone to be Dimmesdale. and Recruit my baby cousin to be our bastard child.

I hate Puritains. with passion. but passion is probably a sin to them. (actually they were perfectly fine with passion. I had to read a trillion things about those damn people).
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Letter.

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina You know the Puritans aren't all bad, they gave us oatmeal....or was that the Quakers....

message 2: by Cate (last edited May 22, 2011 10:22PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cate Puritans gave us nothing, except without them we would probably be British. Which wouldn't be all bad now, would it?

Rebecca There was not a single gratuitous word in this book.

Shaira Maureen VERY SAME FEELING. I was forced to read this book!Can't believe I finished it!

message 5: by Yuliya (new) - added it

Yuliya I used to don't watch movies before books, but in this case movieeven it was VERY different from book) help me very much to get in the mood of these time and in all matters of story. I'm not sure would I like to read this book if I was not prepared by movie - I watched it for free on line on you tube. Demi Moore, Gary Oldman - stars (1995) It helps don't hate a story!

Alejandra umm Hawthorne hated Puritanism too. This book is a criticism of Puritan society and how it can be fatal. If you would rather read Twilight than Hawthorne, then you are not mature enough to understand the value in his work. I'm not saying you should love this book. I'm saying that this book has literary value and you should try to understand Hawthorne's purpose in writing this book.

Cate Hello Members of Goodreads,

In case you have not realized, this review was written in May of 2011. This means I was a meager freshman in high school when I was required to read the novel. Since then, my school has removed it from the freshman year curriculum. Instead, will be read by Seniors taking the second year of the International Baccalaureate level English class, AKA the most challenging level available at the prestigious academy (which I have since completed). So yes, this review reflects the opinions of an immature, untrained reader.

Despite this, I still hate this book.

Until I go back and reread the novel, which may or may not happen, my hatred will remain.

Peace out.

Rebecca Some people never grow up :P

message 9: by Cate (last edited Nov 09, 2014 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cate Ah yes. And this thread is a prime example of the above statement.