Blaire's Reviews > Ashes to Ashes

Ashes to Ashes by Mary Monica Pulver

Jan 05, 08

bookshelves: mystery
Read in January, 2008

Mary Monica Pulver writes unassuming little mysteries that are kind of hard to find, but I always enjoy them. I guess you'd have to categorize them as police procedurals, since the protagonist, Peter Brichter, is a cop. They read more like cozies, though. Even when bad things happen, and they do, they are underplayed and you can count on the author being kind to her major characters. I like Peter Brichter and I find Ms. Pulver's plots to be well-constructed. There are usually a pretty good cast of supporting characters as well. In this book, I found a character named Eddie Dahl, a corrupt colleague of Brichter's, to be especially well done. If I had to identify a weak point, it would be the protagonist's relationship with his wife, Kori. The dialog between the two of them just doesn't ring true to my ear. The Society for Creative Anachronism figures large in some of the books in this series. It gets a very brief, almost token, mention in this one and has absolutely nothing to do with the plot.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes to Ashes.