Margo Berendsen's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: 2010-my-reads, debut-2008-2010, young-adult, fantasy, ya-paranormal
Read from October 01 to 03, 2010

A light, quick read for the younger YA audience (in my opinion), this book still carries a little bit of a punch. Evie, the sixteen year old vampire and gremlin ass-kicking heroine, harbors a lot of insecurity, but a big heart. She also faces a serious tragedy, a former relationship gone bad, trying to figure out who to trust in a world where no one is willing to tell her the truth, and the difficulty of overcoming her own prejudice and her own dangerous nature.

Evie's shapeshifter friend and romantic interest, Lend, is an amazing character and he earns the book a bunch of stars all by his multi-faceted (literally) self.

Evie herself is so, so, so hyper and bubbly she's like spending six hours non-stop with a high school cheerleader. But she had some depth to her, as well. A great example of "voice". And anyone who is best-friends with a mermaid - that's pretty cool.

What the bleep (great saying from the book!) I have to admit that I couldn't put this book down. And a shout out to the author: bring Lish back! With some more backstory!

For a comparison of the writing style with the Iron King, by Julie Kagawa, see my blog at http://margoberendsen.blogspot.com/20...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.