Nan's Reviews > Beautiful Lies

Aug 05, 10

bookshelves: ebook, suspense, romance
Recommended to Nan by: bn.com
Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I bought this book based upon a recommendation from BN.com. The ebook was very cheap, so I figured I wasn't risking much if I didn't like it. The only real thing I would lose was time.

But I did like it--quite a bit, actually.

This is the story of Ridley Jones and the choices she makes. The novel has essentially two prologues. The first tells the story of a woman in 1972, lying in bed, and fearing that her daughter's father is going to come back tonight. She already called the police on him once, and as she hears soft noises by the door, she's very frightened.

The second prologue features Ridley and a man trapped, surrounded by unknown bad guys, and trying to preserve their own lives with their last six bullets.

Chapter one takes us back a few weeks to when Ridley made the choices that led to the shootout. Here the novel becomes incredibly detailed, as she relates each action she took that day. As she wants readers to understand, if she had been just a bit earlier or later, she wouldn't have come to the attention of the general public, and that attention is what drives this story. Someone sees her face on the news, and makes connections from the past. And those connections could be deadly to Ridley and those that love her.

I quite liked this book, but it was extremely predictable at times. It's a solid four star book, but I did want to deduct a star for the predictable plot. However, the writing elevated it for me. She repeated refers to Aunt Denial, a "fragile bitch that can't look at herself." Another example is when Ridley and a friend have dinner together:

We had dinner with injustice sitting between us. It drank a glass of wine and ate heartily while we pushed pasta around our plates and picked at salad. We had been crushed by fear and it sat with us fat and victorious, untouchable. (285)

This sort of personification won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it kept the book alive for me, kept me reading when I had a pretty good idea how it was all going to fall out in the end. This was a solid four star book for me, and I will very likely pick up more books by Lisa Unger in the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Lies.