Sally's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: own-bought, 2012-reads, alternate-worlds, faeries, fallen-angels-or-angels, people-with-powers, vampires, werewolves-shifters, witches-wizards
Read from May 28 to June 05, 2012

Cassandra Clare can do no wrong. All of her books are amazing, City of Lost Souls is A-mazing! She has again delivered a novel that is emotional, exciting, funny, heartbreaking and clever.
When I picked up this book I easily slipped back into the world of my favourite demon hunters. This is the new epic battle between good and evil. I love the world of this story, packed with shadowhunters, werewolves, vampires, plotting faeries, and warlocks. And a whole back history, with political intrigue, changing alliances, secrets and mysteries. But all the different pieces of the story fit together so well.
I love that there is a great depth of emotion in this book. The relationships between the characters are developing and growing more intense, and with the dangerous lives they lead there are so many problems and the realisation that everything is so fragile. The feeling throughout the story is powerful.
I love the focus on all the relationships in this book. Alec and Magnus, Isabelle and Simon, Maia and Jordan, Jocelyn and Luke. But most heartbreaking is Clary and Jace. Jace has been kidnapped by Sebastian and is under a spell where he barely recognises his friends and is not himself. I spent a good portion of this book feeling so sorry for Clary as she struggles with losing "her" Jace, even while he is right in front of her. Clary is so much tougher in this book, and prepared to do what needs to be done.
Sebastian in this book proves that he is completely beyond redemption. You can try to understand him up to a point- he had a tough childhood, but no, his actions in this book just show that he is completely evil and needs to be stopped. He becomes the real arch-villian in this book, and his plots and schemes are really diabolical.
One of the best parts of this series for me is the snappy sarcastic one-liners. This book is infused with humour, despite being dark, scary and at times genuinely heart-breaking. There are so many quoteable passages, bits that melted my heart and bits that made me giggle. This series is exciting and so cool- bring on the next book! (And the films!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

05/30/2012 page 125