Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > How to Read the Air

How to Read the Air by Dinaw Mengestu

Aug 28, 10

bookshelves: arc, 2010-release, shelf-awareness
Read from August 27 to 28, 2010

What I was expecting: A novel about a married immigrant couple from Ethiopia and the trials they faced there and then and here and now.

What it is: A novel about the immigrant couple's son, his divorce, his retracing his parent's honeymoon.

I read a quarter and very little, maybe ten pages at that point followed the parents and what unlikeable people they are!!! I don't advocate spousal abuse, but I gotta be honest.. If I was the husband, I would slap that woman into next year. She's got it coming, I'm sorry to say.

The book also goes on too long about ridiculous things. How long his mother chooses to lay on a bed, his dad's obsession with boxes.. but what I really wanted to know (but didn't want to wait till page 200 for the author to get to the point) was why his parents hate each other so much.

I won this thru Shelf Awareness and I thank the publisher for the chance to read it, but it is not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Read the Air.

08/27/2010 page 59
18.0% "There has been maybe 5 pages max so far dedicated to the immigrant parents and about one paragraph about Ethiopia. What the heck?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan I'm still going to give it a try -- I may hate it but I really like the author's The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears.

Noah P Agreed.

Noah P (That is to say, I find myself in Susan Jones's position.)