Ellen Maze's Reviews > The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life

Aug 05, 10

bookshelves: read-for-research-value
Recommended for: Writers, Aspiring Writers
Read from June 05 to July 05, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

While I can't say that anything in this book was earth-shatteringly new to me, I did learn a lot and feel it is well worth my time and the money paid.

If you are writing a novel and wish to write for the masses, Lukeman's advice can help you mold your vision into that of the `industry standard.' He gives the writer kudos for being an `artist' but will also help you take your original `painting' (your rough draft) and transform it into something a successful literary agent such as himself might look at and consider representing.

If you are a writer who is strictly pursuing self-publishing, you can get insight on pacing, building the story through suspense and any number of other tools. He has great advice on how to scrutinize your work, fiddle with it, and tweak it to make it smooth and flowing.

I did not do the exercises, but skimmed them. I found the questions he had us ask ourselves useful and not repetitive.

I recommend this book to people who have written a novel and want to make it better, OR people who will write a novel one day and would like to fill their brains with some good advice from the get-go.

Lukeman recognizes the importance of encouraging writers. Read my favorite quote below:

MY FAVORITE QUOTE from this book, PAGE 207
"Great writers are desperate. For them, every sentence is a matter of life or death, just as for the great samurai every battle was a matter of life and death. You needn't be dying or imprisoned, but you do need to tap that part of yourself that has driven you to write in the first place. When you have done so, you will know it. You will no longer be writing because you like to, but because you NEED to. And if a day should pass when you skip your writing, you will feel it viscerally, as if you skipped a dose of medicine."

DISCLAIMER: I don't know Noah Lukeman, and I have no financial stock in this work.

Ellen C Maze
Author of Curiously Spiritual Vampire Tales
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plot Thickens.