Ann's Reviews > The Sleeping Doll

The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver

Nov 09, 10

bookshelves: murder, san-francisco, thriller, california, serial-killers, police-law-enforcement, psychological-suspense
Read from September 09 to November 01, 2010

I don't generally find thrillers very interesting (after I was tortured by some horrible James Patterson), but this wasn't too bad. It definitely started out slow because the author needed to establish the protagonist's style of detective work, but the twists later in the story were satisfying and mostly unexpected. I thought the author was particularly skillful in manipulating the reader's loyalties; I found myself at times sympathizing with the murderer, only to have my disgust for him come back at the turn of a dime. Although the writing is still very much the standard thriller/suspense style, it was better than a lot of other books I've read in the genre. The thing I appreciated the most was that none of the violence was graphic, and the author generally "cut away" before anything really happened. I almost didn't read this book because I thought that it would relish the details of the serial killer's actions, but it didn't at all, so I'll probably come back to this series when I need another road trip book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeping Doll.