Amanda's Reviews > The Overnight Socialite

The Overnight Socialite by Bridie Clark

Aug 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, fairytale-like, good-plot, humor
Read from June 13 to July 03, 2011

Well, well, well...

I am completely and utterly baffled by the ending. It makes me want to scream WTF at the top of my lungs while simultaneously banging my head onto my laptop. It wasn't even a cliffhanger- it was like the end of a paragraph or a chapter! The Overnight Socialite was published in what, 2009 and there doesn't seem to be news of a sequel coming out. What absolutely sets me off is not knowing what happens next. It could have been a four star book but the way it ended completely caught me off guard.

To be fair, it was a well paced and delightfully fun contemporary fairytale chick-lit. I did think that there was way too many descriptions of clothing and designer names. Sometimes it's nice to read about what a character is wearing, but seeing it being mentioned five times in one chapter can be a tough ball to swallow.

The characters in the novel brought entertainment and joy to the novel. It was fun to see Lucy Jo's transformation and subsequent movement through the 'elite' of our society. Cornelia also makes a very believable and annoying villain that never ceases to make me think that there really are some people out there who is just like Cornelia.

While I understand this is a chick-lit book and while it reminded me of Gossip Girl and The Devil Wears Prada in many aspects, I liked how Lucy Jo is hardworking, understanding and also pretty intelligent. In all, it wasn't the most stellar book but definitely worth picking up and reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Overnight Socialite.

07/03/2011 page 200
68.0% "Funny and witty so far!"