Sandra's Reviews > Emil und die Detektive

Emil und die Detektive by Erich Kästner

Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own, in-german, read-in-2010, uni, making-up-for-lost-time
Read from September 04 to 05, 2010

The first 'chapter', adequately called "Die Geschichte fängt noch gar nicht an" made me think that his wouldn't be fun at all. Kästner explains why the story he actually wanted to write couldn't be written, and it was just so silly that I just couldn't have high hopes for this book.

The rest of the story however was much nicer! Emil goes by train from Neustadt to Berlin. His mother has given him 140 Mark to bring to his grandma in Berlin, but while he's on the train he falls asleep and the money is stolen. The rest of the book is about Emil trying to get it back.

It truly was a children's story, and as such I would've enjoyed it much more if I had been younger. I do think that it would be perfect for kids, even if it's a little dated. I loved all the kids in the book as well and I'm sure that kids nowadays can still relate to them very well.

So yeah, it was actually rather nice! I hope the other books for the uni will be as enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emil und die Detektive.