~Tina~'s Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

May 13, 2012

bookshelves: cover-crazz, novella-short-story, own-copy, paranormal, read-2012, favorites, clare-crazz
Read from May 08 to 13, 2012

It's not possible to review a Mortal Instruments book and not have any spoilers in it, or at least for me.
So...Enter at your own risk;).

Gawd I love this world! There is nothing quite like it. It's familiar and fun and fantasical. I couldn't adore a series more. I've always been a huge huge fan of Jace these books so I was thrilled to finally get this lastest intallment in my greedy little hands.

I really enjoyed where Clare took these characters and the story line. I've always loved the way this women can write but I was so impressed with how she made me feel when reading controlled-Jace compared to our-Jace. There were a lot of very sweet, very sexy moments between Clary and Jace, but since I knew it wasn't our-Jace, I didn't feel...as connected to those moments as I should have been. It was a very odd experience since I tend to swoon anytime these two get together but it was almost like looking at a mirror image. It's them but it's not. It felt seductive and sinister. Which is why the impact of our-Jace and Clary together felt like a bright light finally got switched on in a very dark room. It was passionate and tender. I probably don't make much sense, it's hard to explain, but what I'm getting at is that Clare really defined these characters emotions, taking them even further then I thought possible. For any Jace fans out there, we know who he is and how he acts. And while I enjoyed the trademark snark that is so Jace compared to his very troublesome mind in COFA I still missed the real him.

I also loved the story-line. It's nothing I was prepared for and that's the best part about reading a book, not knowing where it will lead you and excited about where it will take you next.
A part of me wanted to actually believe in Sebastian before I knew his motives. He makes an amazing villain, way better then Valentine me thinks.
I love all these characters but I think my favorites would be Clary, Jace (obviously), Simon and Magnus.
Simon really stepped up in this book. Such an incredible best friend! I really can't picture him not being apart of these books, so I'm afraid for him. I'm not really sure what I think of him and Isabelle together. I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with the idea yet, maybe I'll feel differently in the last book.
I've always had a big thing for Magnus. I love his wit and humor, he goes above and beyond for the person he cares about and he just has the flare of awesome that only Magnus can have.
So, I think Alex deserved what he got. Not only is his lack of faith and trust in Magnus annoying but it's also quite disappointing. Magnus has proven his love and devotion time and time again. And yet Alex is behaving like a spoiled, jealous, selfish child. Insecurity only goes so far before it feels like a slap in the face.
With that said, I still want them together. I find them utterly adorable and good for each other when Alex isn't souring the moment. I'm hopping this set back is just what Alex needs to wake up and grow up.

Bacically I loved City of Lost Souls! It's addicting and consumming and always such a great great escape. But I am rather concerned about the last book.
Pleasepleaseplease tell me that it's not ture. Someone. Anyone. Please tell me that the 2014 release date for the last Mortal Instrument book, Henvenly Fire, is not 2 freaken years away?!?! ~breaths~ Okay, so I'm just gonna go on and hope that year changes magically to 2013 because I'm telling you people, that's just crazy talk.

Some really exciting stuff to look forward to! City of Heavenly Fire that comes out in 2013 the last book for the Infernal Devices; Clockwork Princess and a brane new shinny world to sink our teeth into with The Dark Artifices series; Lady Midnight! And I simply can't wait!! Bring it!

Such an AMAZING world!!
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

05/08/2012 page 1
0.0% "~bounces~ Jace Jace Jace!!" 2 comments
05/12/2012 page 259
48.0% 3 comments

~Tina~ WTH?!?! Am I reading this right??? My eyes are playing tricks on me. They MUST, because this looks like Cassandra Clare is writing TWO more TMI BOOKS?!?!? OMG!!! ~does happy dance till I pass out~

message 2: by Janina (new)

Janina WHAT??? Just tried to find out more on Cassandra Clare's homepage but it doesn't say anything about more Mortal Instruments books there ... she just says that she can't say right now if there is going to be another book after City of Fallen Angels in the FAQ. Hmm.

~Tina~ I KNOW!! OMG! I'm freaking the HELL out! I can't find anything either. I need this confirmed or I'm going to go nuts.
I ADORE these books. This is like a dream come true!
I sound sad, but I.Don't.Care!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 4: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic You are too cute Tina. I still need to hurry up and read City of Glass.

~Tina~ It's JACE! I need more JACE! Yes, read the last book!!
I'm going to spin till I get these books confirmed. If this is a joke then this is Not.Cool!

message 6: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Here is a link for an excerpt from City of Fallen Angels that I think you will love.

message 7: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Here Tina, lemme give you some ice to sit on so you can cool down a bit.

message 8: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 05, 2010 05:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Thanks Nic!! XO

Better make it a big chunk Kim. I'm still freaking!

JACE!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic JACE!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic JACE!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 9: by Kim (last edited Aug 05, 2010 05:57AM) (new) - added it

Kim XD

*tries to sneak Edward out of the door*

By the way, I'm totally picturing you standing on the table shouting woohoooo while waving your bra around above your head.

message 10: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 05, 2010 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Haha! That's a bit impossible since he's chained in the basement. Shhhh, don't tell my hubby;)

JACEEEEEEEEEEEE is next Muahahaha!

Dame straight! You know me so well:D
w00t woot!!

~Tina~ CONFIRMED BABY!!! Cassandra Clare UStream Chat
6 books in TMI series total! whooooohooooooooo!!

I can breath!! I am soooooooooooo happy ~wipes tears~

message 12: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Whatever you are on, Tina, I want some.

My wallpaper for my computer is still that picture of Jace. Every now and then, I minimize everything to look at him.

message 13: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Didn't you know my last name is Houdini? I can break anybody out of anything.

ROFL @ the bra moment btw =D And I'm sure you scared the shit out of Google, while trying to find information on the TMI books.

Morgan, I agree, I want some too. And I bet you spend at least an hour every day, staring at your screen.

message 14: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 05, 2010 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ ~passes heart-shaped Jace chocolates~
Enjoy the high my friend!

All I see when I think of Jace is Alex Prettyface! God I want him to be him for the movie. It wont happen though, he's not young enough:(

Google is my hero!

message 15: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa 6??? WTH! o_o

~Tina~ ~jumps up and down~ WTH is right! But I'm THRILLED!

message 17: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F You're thrilled, Tina? Really? Huh, never would have guessed. (:

~Tina~ Wow, you should be more perceptive Morg ~points at my freak attack~

message 19: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Now, how could I have missed that? So many flailing limbs!

~Tina~ Flailing limbs is always required for said freak attack. It goes well with freak.

message 21: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F So does frothing at the mouth. But then rabies may come in to question....

~Tina~ If Jace is a form of rabies? Then he can bite me anytime;)

message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F JACE FEVER!!

It consumes the blood, and then the soul!

message 24: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 05, 2010 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Perfect! I'll take one of those! Do you gift wrap?

XD

message 25: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I'm glad I brought popcorn, this is better than watching a movie.

message 26: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F I do gift wrap! I'll wrap Jace in dancing panda wrapping paper, because we all know dancing pandas turn guys on.

Can I have some popcorn, Kim?

message 27: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 05, 2010 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ w00t! Will it arrive in 3-5 days if I pay extra?
Really? I'm going to have to ask Nic about the panda's. But it's a good theory.
Hmm, I wonder if they sell that kind of wrapping paper here ~ponders~

Kim, pass the popcorn please.

message 28: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F I can have it there in 2.

Darn. I got popcorn kernels stuck in my teeth.

~Tina~ Your theee best XO

I freaken hate that when it happens.

message 30: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F It was even worse when I had braces. *shudders*

message 31: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa I know that feeling. X(

message 32: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Of course you can, take whatever you want ^^

*flicks her wand and it starts raining popcorn*

~Tina~ Heaven! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 34: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Haha. Perfect.

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Ahh, I think I'm right there with you Tina. I need more Jace (that looks like Alex Pettyfer) in my life.

message 36: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim ROFL, you have an appropriate smiley for everything XD

~Tina~ Exactly Andrea! Mmmm Alex "Prettyface"

I'm a big smiley face girl. They make the world a better place Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 38: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Wal-Mart must be like Jesus then.

message 39: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Tina, click on the following link to calm yourself down :)

Arlene LMAO Tina! I'm right there with ya my friend. This is the first I've heard of six books for TMI series. Woo hoo!! Woo hoo!!!

Nic, I'm glad I opened that link at home. I think I would have gotten a firewall at work. HOT! :)

message 41: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks I don't know that guy. I am getting old.

message 42: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I was thinking the same thing Olivia.

message 43: by Janina (new)

Janina I've never heard of him either ... ;).

message 44: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 06, 2010 03:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Nic wrote: "Tina, click on the following link to calm yourself down :)

Nic you BRAT! You know that'll just get me going again!! Yummmmy! Thanks xo!

He's Alex Pettyfer (Prettyface) He's staring in Beastly guys?

message 45: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Tina, you should change your title over at The Corner to Jace-Maniac or something.

~Tina~ Haha! I'm not good with titles. That's one sounds good though;)

message 47: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F I call Prettyface.

That's right. I have dibs.

~Tina~ Morgan ~shakes head~ you can't call dibs on Prettyface. He belongs to all who love him.

Arlene If that's true Tina, how come you have him chained in your basement?

Oh wait... maybe it wasn't Prettyface. ;)

message 50: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Prettyface is with ME!!

« previous 1