Krystle's Reviews > Crown Duel

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

Aug 05, 2010

Read from January 06 to 09, 2011

I’m ashamed to say I’ve only read this classic of young adult fantasy now. How horrid, no? I don’t know what I’ve been missing out. Forget about Katsa, Katniss, and all those other strong hard-headed heroines you love. Meliara is the original and stakes her claim on the throne until this day.

The first book was filled with action, action, and lots more action. I wasn’t really gripped by it because of how annoying Meliara was. She was brash, stubborn, irrational, prejudiced, and very rude. She dove headlong into battle and never backed down into a vehicle for someone else’s motivations. I loved that even though she was so gung ho, she wasn’t perfect. She never escaped from battle spotless and wasn’t a magical fiend at sword play. To be honest, she was merely adequate.

But it’s the second half that cemented the book firmly into my heart. I loved how she went into court and learned about the subtle art of political manipulations. The best part was the romance. Gosh, I swooned like a madwoman. (view spoiler)

Meliara didn’t turn into a simpering idiot either. She planned parties out on her own, uncovered the mystery of the plot to overthrow the kingdom, and sacrificed herself to save everyone. She also grew and mellowed out as a character, realizing her flaws and working hard at overcoming them. Of course she didn’t turn into a saint and still kept facets of her impertinent personality at the forefront.

What really made this sizzle was the short story added on in this omnibus. I squealed like a giddy girl when I got to the end. It really cemented their romance that wasn’t so prevalent in the novel and it’s so cute how they have their own misunderstandings but work through them. The love they have for each other is very evident and Shevraeth is one of the most sweetest, loving man ever. More young adult males have to be like this.

Fabulous! You need to read this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown Duel.

01/06/2011 page 101
06/15/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza I loved these books!

jesse Hey! You should've used the spoiler-tags. Now I know who the guy is. (Damn it.)

Krystle Oops! Sorry! Haha, I'll fix it now.

message 4: by H (new) - added it

H This sounds gush-worthy :P

Maria THE BEST.

Krystle Yes it was! Thanks for recommending it to me! XD!

Hannah Accampo Great comment, and I agree completely on the courting thing, haha.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall I could not agree with you more, Krystle!

Lindi I can't agree that Meliara is the original kick-ass heroine, though -- I'd have to give that title to Harry Crewe of The Blue Sword.

Elaney Wow. I might as well delete my review. This puts everything I felt into words!

Hannah Accampo Lindi wrote: "I can't agree that Meliara is the original kick-ass heroine, though -- I'd have to give that title to Harry Crewe of The Blue Sword."

I love that book! And I'd probably have to agree with you. And have you read 'The Raven Ring' Because if you haven't, and you like those two books, you'd probably really enjoy it.

Krystle Hannah wrote: "Lindi wrote: "I can't agree that Meliara is the original kick-ass heroine, though -- I'd have to give that title to Harry Crewe of The Blue Sword."

I love that book! And I'd probably have to agree..."

No, I haven't... Thanks for the recommendation!