David's Reviews > Lift

Lift by Kelly Corrigan

M 50x66
Aug 05, 10

Long (for a letter; short for a book, 82 small pages) letter to her two daughters about lots of stuff -- funny family anecdotes, her own childhood, cute things they said and did.

I used to write long-ish notes to my kids when they were as young as the author's, and it might be fun for them or for me to reread them as a set at some point, but I can't imagine anyone outside the family wanting to do so. Same here -- she seems like a nice person, and there is some moving stuff, esp. in relation to accidental death of a friend's son, but for the most part I don't get how she got a publisher for this. From the jacket, it sounds as though she had a big hit with previous book The Middle Place, so perhaps they just needed/wanted to get something out to strike while the iron was hot with her readership.

If so, then like Boston and Nicollette Larsen (sp?) back in the day, she should have resisted the urge. You work and work and work to try to get noticed in the music industry, perfecting your stuff in hundreds of live shows, and then when your first album is an unexpected hit, the record company wants you to put something else out real quick to generate more sales -- not a good idea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lift.