Chrissy's Reviews > The Unbearable Lightness of Being

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

A painful, subtle, and very thorough examination of almost all the ideas fundamental to human nature: beauty, love, sex, loyalty, identity, existence, fate, and death. Anything you have ever stopped to ponder about life, Milan Kundera paints vibrantly to life in this deceptively complex story of 4 young lovers in and around communist Czech Republic.

A philosophical thesis at its core, though it is an interesting story by its own right, this novel carries both weight and lightness within it, two ideas that the author contemplates very deliberately over the course of the narrative, cautiously testing his characters to see which of the two is less bearable but never really coming to a conclusion.
Kundera is an expert at building metaphors that halt a reader in his tracks and imagery that perpetuates of its own accord in the reader's mind. More than once, I found myself going back and read whole paragraphs over so that I could further appreciate the beauty of what was being implied.

A magnificent read for those longing to look deeper and see life in a new light. Or two. Or three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbearable Lightness of Being.