Destinee Sutton's Reviews > Word After Word After Word

Word After Word After Word by Patricia MacLachlan

Aug 09, 10

bookshelves: writing, middle-grade
Read from August 08 to 09, 2010

When writing about good writing, is it pretentious to use quotations from your own books? Um, yes. Even if one of those books won the Newbery Medal, I believe it's still on the tacky side, Pat MacLachlan. Sorry.

Still, this is a neat little book about the power of writing, why we write, etc. As a jaded adult, I thought it was sickeningly precious, but if I had read it as a kid, I think I would've been inspired (probably inspired to write bad poetry, but still). It's always lovely read an author who can tell a story with an economy of words. Bravo for that, Pat! You did a fantastic job of creating a full world, meaningful character arcs, etc., in so few pages.

But, as opposed to the very kiddish kid narrator of the great Love That Dog, the kids in this book are barely believable. They are far too mature and sensitive, not just for fourth-graders, for living, breathing human beings. In fact, even the adults were too perfect.

So this works as a testament to the power of writing, but not, I think, as a great novella.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Word After Word After Word.