-k The Lady Critic's Reviews > East

East by Edith Pattou

Aug 04, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in July, 2010

Ok, this is one of my favourite fairy tales to read, but this wasn’t my favourite rendition of East of the Sun, West of the Moon but it was still really good. In fact, this was the first one that I’ve read where I can picture it happening (aside from the trolls and whatnot) but it was more realistic than any of the others that I’ve read.

Now, I’m normally not one who enjoys reading a book written from alternating perspectives but with this book it worked. In fact, the fact that the Troll Queen was one of the narratives made me feel really sorry for her. She was just so pathetically in love and wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer. However, it really shows the reader the lengths that a person would go to in order to obtain what they want most.

I also liked how the White Bear started his narrative in broken poetry and had his language progress after he transformed back into a man. I thought that that was a perfect representation of his character.

Something that I really enjoyed was the whole idea behind the names and the birth-direction; I thought that it was a very original idea and it fit well with the story. It was definitely an interesting aspect to everything and it connected well with the story itself.
In the end, even though this wasn’t my favourite version of this fairy tale, it was still a very original perspective. I’m giving it an 8/10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East.

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Huynh I love fairytale retellings but am not familiar with this tale so I'm hoping for some advice. Which novel version of this story do you recommend I try? I have seen a few titles that tells this tale but am a little indecisive....The tale itself looks very interesting I don't want to ruin my impressions of it with a bad retelling. :)

-k The Lady Critic Oh gosh there are so many to choose from. Aside from this book, there's Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George, and an adult one called Once Upon a Winter's Night by Dennis L. McKiernan that's the beginning of a 5 book series. There's also one called Ice but I don't know the author off the top of my head, but it's also a very modern take on the fairy tale.
I would suggest reading the fairytale online if you can and then going from there; they're all great reads though.
Happy reading!

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Huynh Thanks for all the suggestions Katherine... Although I think I'm more confused now than before hehe... I guess i'll do a little research and see which one stands out :)