Lauren Monsey Nagel's Reviews > Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives

Final Salute by Jim Sheeler

Aug 04, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction

If you have not heard of the book, you might recall hearing about the author. His name is Jim Sheeler, the winner of the 2006 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing. When I picked up this book I immediately recognized it was the same Major Steve Beck that I had read about a few years ago, in my Sunday paper. Major Beck, a causality assistance calls officer in the US Marine Corp, had organized “Remembering The Brave” ceremony for the families in honor of their fallen loved one.
When you first pick this book up, chances are you will be drawn to the photographs. But once you start reading, connecting the names, the places and the people that this book is about , that is when you will understand why I had to read this book in stages. The stories are so personal that no reader will be able to continue with tear filled eyes. So be prepared to put the book down quite a bit.
I would recommend this as required reading for every American. It does not matter if you are for or against the war.This book is about the lives of those that protect ours. Please read this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Final Salute.