Sarah's Reviews > Dark and Stormy Knights

Dark and Stormy Knights by P.N. Elrod

Aug 04, 2010

bookshelves: anthology, dresden, urban-fantasy
Read in August, 2010

A pretty outstanding anthology, running with the theme of "good guys who walk the shadowy line."

*Questionable Client by Ilona Andrews. Cute. It would have actually read better had the attempts at flirting/romance been kept out of it, which generally fell flat. But the client, and the scape he had gotten himself into, was an interesting premise.

*Even Hand by Jim Butcher. Butcher really does write strong short stories. This story (falling between Turn Coat and Changes, for Dresden fans), offers a bit more of a glimpse into the private workings of Marcone. Always a fascinating character - and always proving that he can cover all bases well. I think out of all the Dresden shorts I have read, this one would be the most difficult for a non-Dresden reader to read.

*The Beacon by Shannon Butcher. Lost it after about 4 pages. Nope. Couldn't do it.

*Even a Rabbit will Bite by Rachel Caine. This one managed to take the old dragon story and provide a nice update and twist to it.

*Dark Lady by PN Elrod. Another short featuring the vampire detective Jack Fleming. Nicely set, fast moving, fun to read.

*Beknighted by Deidre Knight. Yep, nope. Couldn't get through more then 5 pages. Note to to Knight and S Butcher: the overly romantic subplots really don't work with this type of genre.

*Shifting Star by Vicki Pettersson. I really enjoyed this, because I think the concept of Tulpa is very interesting, and watching the development of one, as she becomes more and more rooted in humanity is interesting (rather like watching Ilyara struggle with the issues she faces as Freds' memories become more prominent in Angel, but I digress). Anyway, this is another story that might be hard for those who don't read the authors' primary series to get into (the Zodiac series)

*Rookwood and Mrs. King by Lilith St. Crow. Fairly amusing story about unexpected...strenghts.

*God's Creatures by Carrie Vaughn. I can't say the ending of this was a surprise - its given away pretty early, but it was a well written story.

All over all, I think this anthology had the strongest collection of stories is any collection of its type I have read in a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark and Stormy Knights.