Lara's Reviews > Outside In

Outside In by Maria V. Snyder

Apr 30, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, dystopia-post-apocalypse, young-adult, science-fiction, cover-candy, read-it-to-the-hubs
Read from March 14 to April 30, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Before I started this book, I had absolutely no idea of what it would be about--the first book had a very complete ending, and did not give any clues, as far as I could see, as to what would come next. So yet again, Snyder totally surprised me in the direction she takes here. I'm actually having a hard time rating this one, because I feel like, in a lot of ways, I liked it even more than I did the first book, which I rated 5 stars just for surprising me so much. I found the plot interesting and unpredictable, and pretty action-packed, and I had just as hard of a time putting it down as I did Inside Out. Trella grows up a bit over the course of the story, and Riley surprises me by not putting up with her crap--I liked seeing him stand up to her. And I really enjoyed the way she gradually warms up to Doctor Lamont. So, yeah, all of that stuff was great!

At the same time though, there were just so many typos and poor grammar and awkwardly worded sentences! I had a really hard time overlooking that stuff and I felt like I kept getting dropped out of the story because of it. And it made me angry that someone didn't do a better job of looking this book over before sending it to print. You know, my usual rant. Also it kind of drove me nuts that EVERYBODY kept calling their ship "our world." Granted, they've lost most of their history and only recently discovered a small part of what the heck's going on, seemed weird that everyone would describe it in the exact same way. That's all.

Anyway, despite those minor annoyances, it's a great story, and I have no idea whether Snyder is planning on writing any more in this series, or if these two books are it, but I think there are still a lot of ideas she could explore here, and I will be just as excited about a third book as I was about the second, if one happens to come along.

In any case, keep it up, Maria V.!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside In.

02/15/2011 page 56
02/15/2011 page 72
23.0% "Really good so far, but there sure are a lot of typos and poor grammar and awkward sentences!"
show 6 hidden updates…