Diana~'s Reviews > Falling Under

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-romance, 2011-reads
Read from April 11 to 12, 2011

For Gwen Hayes's first debut, this book was pretty amazing. The flow of the story, the intricate characters and the writing that the author creates was just mesmorizing. I can't stop thinking about it! Plus, I'm also a sucker for tortured heroes... and Haden Black is that one. I didn't think I would have shed so many tears for these two people who, even though they loved each other, could not be together. Falling Under is a story about finding the love of your life and fighting for what you believe in, as well as the confounding emotion of wanting someone so much that you might end up hurting them. It was beautifully written and I'm dying to read the second installment of this series! If you're into dark paranormal romance with plenty of sexual undertones everywhere, then this is the book for you. I mean holy cow, Haden is one sexy and emotional hero who loves deeply and pretty much darkly .

My favorite quote from Haden was this: (view spoiler)

There were times when I wanted to smack Theia because she was one of those heroines... that needed 'saving.' She was characterized as an obedient daughter who wanted to break out of her shell, but never actually could or wanted to. It went on for awhile until one day, everything changed. I have to admit, the author created a pretty unique story in which the world in which Haden lived in was just so dark and beautiful.

Haden claims that he is evil and in a sense, that is true. He is part of something that will irrevocably change Theia's life forever and I think that is what makes this book so damn mind blowing! The ending was especially that because of the sudden twist in the story as well as the change in the POV. I never would have thought that the author would switch up the story like that. Either way, this was a wonderful story that definitely deserves attention! THIS, is how a YA Paranormal story should be written.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Under.

Quotes Diana~ Liked

Gwen Hayes
“If you are about to tell me you are a vampire that glitters in the sunshine, I will--”

Gwen Hayes
“I'm probably half in love with a boy I don't really like.”

Gwen Hayes
“Do you think it’s easy for me? No, I don’t remember you. I don’t remember holding you or talking to you or falling in love with you—but I walk around with a giant hole in my heart all the time. I feel your absence every second of the day. It aches and nothing soothes it. Losing you is bad enough, but I don’t even get the comfort of remembering that I had you once.
-Haden”

Gwen Hayes
“This isn't a crush, it's obsession.You are never not in my thoughts. Your scent carries across a room and paralyzes me with longing. I don't want to hold your hand. Part of me wants to set you on fire and hold you while the flame consumes us both, to eat your heart so I know that only I possess it entirely.”

04/12/2011
35.0% "Holy crap. Why does she provoke him?!! This guy is nuts!"
04/12/2011
50.0% "Halfway through the book and Haden is already breaking my heart. Why can't they be together?"
04/12/2011
72.0% "This sort of reminds me of The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa..."

message 1: by _yay_ (new)

_yay_ I was wondering...does it have an open end or is there a conclusion with a few hints regarding a second book in the series?

Diana~ There's actually a pretty good conclusion to this book as well as a few hints as to where the next book will be heading. The second book, Dreaming Awake will be released 2012.

message 3: by _yay_ (new)

_yay_ Thanks! :)