Isaac Hamlet's Reviews > Star Wars: Fatal Alliance: The Old Republic

Star Wars by Sean Williams

Aug 04, 2010

A good star wars book. I'm starting to like the expanded univers. This is probably the third star wars book I've read that isn't based on the movies and now I'm concidering getting into this. Now this book could have just as easily gotten a three from me but I think I needed something light to read. The characters a a little two dimentional but it's intersting to see the contrast between the jedi and the sith. Though it says based on the video game on the cover I believe it's a tie in becuase it would be a really short video game.
The thing though I liked so much about this book is that at a point the Republic and the empire join together to prevent these droids (some how more advanced than those from the orginal and prequal trilogys. Then again a lot is in KOTOR and SWTOR) from destorying the galaxy. That and a brief, but fun, three way battle between a jedi padawan, a sith padawan, and a madalorian. The only real problem was a part involving the sith padawan toward the end involving the driods that kind of ruined the pace and went unexplained but that was the only reall problem. You won't like this book at all if you're not a fan of the expanded univers and it's probably not as good as some and im probably being generous with four stars. But the book is fun. Get it from the library or wait for soft cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars.

Stephanie Roberts I would highly recommend reading the New Jedi Order series, it was my favorite section of the Expanded Universe books, it concerns the next generation after the original trilogy (i.e. Leia and Han Solo's kids).

Isaac Hamlet Stephanie wrote: "I would highly recommend reading the New Jedi Order series, it was my favorite section of the Expanded Universe books, it concerns the next generation after the original trilogy (i.e. Leia and Han ..."

Should I read the Heir to the Emperor trilogy first?
(P.S. What book does the New Jedi Order pick up at?)

Stephanie Roberts The New Jedi Order starts with Vector Prime, it's not strictly necessary to read all of the New Republic Era books as the NJO books were written so that someone who had not read any other EU books would still be able to know what was going on (it re-introduces characters that first appeared in previous EU books, etc).

But, in re-reading the plot synopses of the Thrawn Trilogy just now (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, & The Last Command), I actually recommend reading it first, even if you just pick up the graphic novel versions. You may also want to read the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, & Champions of the Force; my favorite New Republic Era books). Many major heroes of the NJO were first introduced in the Thrawn and Jedi Academy trilogies.