Kyle's Reviews > This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

This Book Is Overdue! by Marilyn Johnson

Aug 10, 10

Read from August 04 to 10, 2010

How can a book about such an interesting subject be so boring? I seriously had to fight the urge to just put the book down, or worse, just read the last two pages of every chapter just to get through it.
I already agree with her about the necessity of librarians in our information-glutted world, I am into both the preservation of thoughts and culture and the embracing of technology, so I am dead center in this book's target audience. Somehow, Johnson manages to drag on saying the same things about how quirky, important and amazing librarians are without actually imparting anything dramatic or interesting.
A few of the stories, such as the FBI challenge or the free-roaming protestor librarian, were interest on their own, but Johnson just does not seem to understand pacing. It felt as though I had to drag the information out of her while she found another way to reiterate how this story proves her points that librarians are quirky, important and amazing. Your story is indeed proving those points. Please stop telling me how.
Also, I suppose it's possible because of the timeframe in which this was written, but why is it so incredible that librarians are blogging or on SecondLife? Moreover, why single out SecondLife in particular? Why not just stick that whole chapter alongside the blogging chapter, because neither of them really tell me anything I don't already see all the time?
Not that I wanted this book to really change me or anything, but I wanted to feel as though something was going to be done, or someone was going to make some difference. It feels to me as though no one actually does anything. This whole book is just sort of... information about the ways that librarians are weird and changing. The way this is written, it belongs more in the reference section than anything.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Book Is Overdue!.

message 1: by Amy L. (new)

Amy L. Campbell Maybe you should write about amazing blogging librarians *cough cough* me*cough*.