Ren (All By Myshelf)'s Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Michael Carroll

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: own, series, young-adult
Read from August 14 to 17, 2010

I really liked The Awakening. It was an excellent superhero book, though a little predictable at times. I kind of guessed most of the plot twists a few chapters before they were revealed. The predictability didn’t take away from the story at all, because while I guessed things correctly, there were always questions leading up to the reveal. Like, I’d think I figured something out, then something would happen to make me question my theory, only for it to be proven right anyway.

I rather liked the characters in this book. Renata is definitely my favorite. She’s kind of made of awesome! The parts with her were my favorite to read, though often very short. Danny would have to be my second favorite. I was a little annoyed at how much he faded into the background, when the story is about Quantum’s prophecy and the prophecy is about him. You’d think he’d be there more. I really liked what happened to him in the end! If you’ve read it and know what I’m talking about, you probably think I’m a little sick. I just love things like that in books. **SPOILERS** Any author that can maim a character like that is okay by me. **SPOILER OVER**

The villains were pretty good. Actually, they were very good. Just the right mix of craziness and personal agendas.

I can’t think of much to say about Colin. While most of the story was focused on him, he wasn’t that interesting. There were a few exciting parts in his arc, but they were few and far between.
One thing I would change about this book is the action, I would put more of it. When I think superheroes, I think action. They go hand in hand most of the time.

Despite the lack of action, this was a really good book. The pacing was good, the characters were excellent, and the story was very interesting. I’ll definitely be reading the rest of the series. There were lots of questions at the end about what side everyone would end up on, and I’m really looking forward to the answers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

08/14/2010 page 55
18.0% "A little slow, but so far really good."
08/15/2010 page 75
25.0% "Has picked up a bit. I really like it so far!"
08/16/2010 page 149
49.0% "Good, but really needs more action."