Shawn's Reviews > The Death of a Beekeeper

The Death of a Beekeeper by Lars Gustafsson

Aug 04, 2010

Read from August 04 to 05, 2010

I enjoyed this strange book, The Death of a Beekeeper. I believe I now have met my quota for reading Swedish books for this year. The book is short, only 150 pages, all about a man dying in the countryside by himself, with his bees. I loved the poetry of it. The protagonist is haunted by memories, many of which I can relate to. My favorite is he remembers the shadows of foliage "flutter on the ground in maelstroms, yes, really in maelstroms." Ah, that's the shit, there. And he also observes that every human being hoards a dark puzzle in himself, the darkness of the pupil is like the blackness of outer space, basically. The five page afterword by the translator represents everything I do not like about deconstructing writing for a class essay, trying to summarize an author's writing, to recite what it really means. Ah! The horror, the bullshit of it all! We need an afterword for the afterword, because I cannot ascertain its meaning at all! [my rant is ended:]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of a Beekeeper.