Tracy's Reviews > Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously

Sweater Quest by Adrienne Martini

Aug 04, 2010

it was ok
Read from August 04 to 05, 2010

I'm going to write a book, "My Year of Reading Books about People Spending a Year Doing Something." Catchy title, right?

Update: if I write that book I probably won't include this one. It didn't quite work. The writer couldn't decide if she was writing purely for an audience of knitters (the only people who would be remotely interested in this book) or if she was trying to explain knitters to non-knitters. So there were lots of knitterly references interspersed with detailed descriptions of knitting terms. So, half the book feels like it is for one audience, half for another. But I don't think either would be quite satisfied.

I think the author actually hits on the problem when she interviews the Yarn Harlot. They decide that the key to the success of the Harlot's books about knitting is that they aren't really about that. They are about people through the prism of knitting. This book was all about the knitting, so I think it fell flat.

I think I would enjoy hanging out and talking knitting with the author. And I think I'll check out her blog, because her style seems really well-suited for that format and I'd bet I would enjoy it. But, I'm going to leave this one out of my book. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweater Quest.

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica I know. It's an epidemic. I'm addicted though as well.

I'd read your book too ;)