Deanna's Reviews > Portal

Portal by Imogen Rose

Aug 06, 10

Read in April, 2010

I honestly didn't expect much from this book even though it had some excellent reviews. I am not a 'young adult' and generally prefer literary fiction and the classics. That said, I had trouble doing anything else while Portal was unfinished on my Kindle.

It's a light read, but has a gripping plot and well developed characters. I had no problem identifying with the 17 year old protaganist, Arizona, despite the fact that I'm 53. I was anxious to read what came next from beginning to end.

Others have given a good synopsis of the plot, so I won't go into it in depth. Just to say that the heroine wakes up on her way 'home' with her 'family' to find that her life as she knew it had vanished. She retains a perfect memory of her previous life in Princeton, NJ, but suddenly lives in CA. Many of the same characters from her 'old' life reappear in a different context and she's utterly confused and angry. Where is her father, with whom she lived? Why does she suddenly have an older brother and WHY THE HECK has she changed from a tomboyish ice hockey player into Cheer-Barbie? I won't give away any spoilers, but despite the fact that this novel is sci-fi, the plot is believeable.

I read Twilight when it was on sale for the Kindle because of all the buzz, but found the writing weak. Not so with Portal. Although it's a different theme (time travel), this is a YA book that works. It left me anxiously awaiting the sequel (get to work, Ms. Rose!!). This is a book that is presumably aimed at the young adult audience that can appeal to just about anyone. Good work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Portal.