Sarah Rosenberger's Reviews > The Fallen and Leviathan

The Fallen and Leviathan by Thomas E. Sniegoski

Aug 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: teen-fiction, guy-reads, clean-reads, paranormal
Read from August 04 to 09, 2010

The new 'Angels with Abercrombie Abs' covers for this series are really unfortunate for two reasons: 1) Even though the books have a guy as the main character and are filled with blood and guts and action, no teenage guy is going to be caught dead reading them, and 2) Any girl who picks this up expecting a swoony paranormal romance featuring a super-hot angel is probably going to get a little nervous right around the time a dog gets hit by a car and is going to positively lose her shit once angels start stabbing monsters in their eyeballs and everyone is covered in viscous digestive fluids.

Misleading cover aside, if you've ever thought to yourself, "Gee, I wish there was a book that took the talking dog from The Knife of Never Letting Go, some angels straight out of Good Omens, and a relatively bland teenage guy and then had them fight a series of exhaustingly described battles against increasingly gross creatures," this is definitely the book for you. Sniegoski never says "eye" when he can say "luminescent milky orb" and most of the characters are pretty flat, but despite all that, Fallen is still an okay read. There's some decent humor, the plot is interesting, and there are enough creepy horror elements to satisfy those who like their paranormal stories a little darker. Also, let's face it - you can really never go wrong with a book that has a talking dog in it.

Good for teens (guys and girls) who want a dark paranormal read with only a little romance and a lot of gory action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallen and Leviathan.

08/04 page 268
49.0% "The first book was ickily overwritten, but the plot was decent enough."
02/24 marked as: read

Kezia *Mrs Dean Winchester* I totally agree :) talking dogs rule :). And this not your normal sappy teenage paranormal romance. Over all it was satisfying and give me a break, gabriel as so darn cute :D

Alexus Loved it because it wasn't a Sappy Teen romance... Too much of that crap running around thanks to twilight. =D Personally I love a book with a little gore, as long as the 'causes' of death are realistic. (Example. Guy gets arm cut off, He should be in shock and probably would die to blood loss, None of the Montey Python and the Holy grail "Tis-merely-a-flesh-wound" Crap)

I want my dog to talk like gabe does.