Leila's Reviews > Stone Crossings: Finding Grace in Hard and Hidden Places

Stone Crossings by L.L. Barkat

Aug 05, 10

Read from August 04 to 05, 2010

UGGGGH...Am I literally the only person in the world who doesn't like this book? First off, you need to know that I'm a Christian, so I'm not going to dog the book for those reasons. However, some of her points are weird and creepy. Such as--God the lover? Not cool. Also, minus 10 points for any author who uses the word "lover" in a non-ironic sense.

The book starts out with her trying to make you believe it is about her opening up her life and exploring it with the reader. Not true. She hints at lots of family issues, but never once says anything I found deeply personal. So, right there, I think, you've lied to me about what this book is supposed to be about.

And the "poetry"? That schmaltzy-over-the-top-dripping-with-imagery crap wouldn't fly in a freshman poetry workshop. I know, I've taught them. These introductions were a distraction, on top of essays which were also frequently distractions from any real point.

All in all, there were some valid moments here, real moments of interesting writing--they mostly came at the end. I think if the author had ditched the gooey poetry along with the idea that she was somehow revealing anything about herself to you, something would be there. But this wasn't personal enough to be personal, and not theologically sound enough to be good theology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Crossings.

08/04/2010 page 59