AH's Reviews > Thorn Queen

Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead

Aug 06, 2010

bookshelves: fae, book-challenge, zzread-august-2010
Read from August 04 to 05, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I really liked this book. I enjoyed almost every moment. Our heroine Eugenie commutes between the human world working as a shaman and the Otherworld as the Thorn Queen. Eugenie has grown and developed as a character. She genuinely cares about her kingdom and tries to work out ways for her subjects to be able to survive in the new arid lands. When some girls go missing, Eugenie starts to hunt for them. I found it interesting that Eugenie does not tell her stepfather about her new position in the Otherworld. Gentry are still after Eugenie, hoping to impregnate her and fulfill the prophecy.

Eugenie continues to learn how to use her magical powers, learning from Dorian’s mistress. The banter between Eugenie and Ysabel was humorous and we get an insight into Dorian’s many talents in the bedroom. We learn from Ysabel that he also has artistic talents with a paintbrush. Hmm…knots and paint. Dorian proves himself to be a good friend and ally to Eugenie. The sexual tension between the Eugenie and Dorian was delicious. Which brings us to Kiyo. I am ashamed to admit that I actually liked Kiyo in the first book. I came to despise him in this book. I found him judgmental and lacking empathy for Eugenie.

One of the memorable scenes that stand out in the book is Queen Maiwenn’s baby shower. As the gentry rarely have young, the gifts were just a little inappropriate for a baby. Fine china and gemstones were amongst the gifts, contrasted with Eugenie’s gift of a teddy bear.

I can't believe that there will be such a long wait for the next novel in the series. Can't wait to read it.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn Queen.

08/04/2010 page 43
11.0% "Gentry Baby Shower! Dorian!" 7 comments
08/04/2010 page 133
36.0% "Oh, the tension between Eugenie and Dorian....." 3 comments
08/05/2010 page 188
50.0% "So not only can Dorian tie great knots, he is also an artist with a paintbrush? Hmmmm....." 4 comments
08/05/2010 page 239
64.0% "My sword is in need of replacement, you know--and that's not a metaphor. The metaphorical one is just fine." 9 comments

Catherine Looks like you liked it!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I did. And I liked the ending. Gotta gather the thoughts for a review.

Alisha Great review. I agree with ye from top to bottom!

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks...I found it hard to review this one without getting really spoilerish.

message 5: by The Flooze (last edited Aug 07, 2010 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Flooze Whoo hoo!

______________________________________
I wanted to beat the crap out of Kiyo when he admitted he knew what the people were suffering through, but didn't bother to bring it to her attention. And how judgemental is he to tell her to ignore her magic? Why? So she can level all of her hometown next time she accidentally brews up an emotion-based hurricane? Lordee.

I loved how this one gave Dorian more depth and showed how much he genuinely cares--not just for her, but also for the populace in general. Also, he's just plain delicious. And that moment, you know the one (it's such a big one that even though I marked this spoilers I still don't want to accidentally ruin it for someone)...where he does precisely what I wanted, what her stepdad wanted, what Kiyo should have wanted...I screamed out loud and did a fist pump. Yeah, I did a fist pump. I ain't ashamed. I'm a vengeful gal.
______________________________________

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Totally agree with you. I had actually liked Kiyo in the first book, but whoa, I was ready to lynch him. I almost threw the book across the room...I too, was feeling very vengeful at that moment.

Does anyone know when the next book comes out?

The Flooze NEXT year, unfortunately. It's slated for Feburary. I believe she decided to focus on Vamp Academy instead, since I seem to recall two of those books being released this year?

I thought there was something shady about Kiyo in book one. I was also not in favor of the fact that she had to train him to make sure she came during sex. That whole aspect was a little too animalistic for me. I'm all for a primal man act here and there, but come on!

As soon as Dorian arrived on the scene, I was his.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Me too. Love that Dorian....

The Flooze **SPOILERS**

Oh! Oh! And when Kiyo told her she should make nice with the bastard's mother?!?! W.T.F. I understand the political considerations, but has he no empathy at all? No common sense? The way he approached that situation...UGH.

Even though I thought her recovery seemed rather fast, I ADORED the way Dorian handled that scene toward the end. He was perfect in his hesitancy and his desire to make sure she was in the right headspace. There are so many scenes where his understanding nature shines through.

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Yes, that part - Dorian proved his worth - a real man...
(or Fairy King)....

Catherine Great review! I wasn't surprised she didn't tell Roland. The man is really down on that half of her heritage. She probably just wanted to avoid a lecture and guilt trip.

Catherine The Flooze (Michelle M.) wrote: "**SPOILERS**

I could not believe Kiyo! He was such an ass there. Just like when he talked her out of that punishment. What normal boyfriend would react that way in that situation??? Thank god Dorian was there. At least someone didn't care about the consequences.

I was a little surprised at her recovery too, but I know it's not an abnormal recovery. I just thought the author would have followed the more standard reaction. I don't think Eugenie's fixed though. I got the impression it was only Dorian who was okay.

The Flooze "Only Dorian" meaning she is only okay with Dorian?

The Flooze AH wrote: "Me too. Love that Dorian....

February - She's killing me....She should have done the next book in this series and given us a better Vampire academy book. That last book was awful."

Was it? I can't seem to get into VA. The foreshadowing is too obvious for almost every little plot point.

Catherine The Flooze (Michelle M.) wrote: ""Only Dorian" meaning she is only okay with Dorian?"

The only man so far she is okay with. Obviously she let her mom touch her. Sorry I wasn't clear!

The Flooze Just checking!