Jennifer's Reviews > Supernaturally

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-other
Read from August 17 to 21, 2011

Supernaturally is a good follow-up to Paranormalcy and continues the series well, but it doesn't quite reach the surprising uniqueness of the first book. Evie's out of the agency, living with a vampire roommate and attending real high school (with lockers!). She has everything she ever wanted and she's already bored.

Evie continues to be a compelling character in Supernaturally, but her relationship with Lend seems to bring out the worst in her. She's bored because Lend's away at school during the week. I get that she misses her boyfriend, but choosing to only apply to his college seemed out of character of Evie. As does the fact that she needs to help out the agency on certain assignments because she needs to find something to fill her time when Lend's away. Their relationship quickly descends into cliched arguments, including the ever popular: hiding things is the same as lying.

The introduction of Jack was interesting if slightly predictable. He was never made out to be a love interest for Evie, which I though was a missed opportunity. He adds most of the excitement and action to Supernaturally, even if most will see what he's up to pretty early on.

I enjoyed Evie working with the agency again, as well as her reconnecting with Raquel. And I definitely liked Reth a whole lot more in this novel than the last. He's still quite the enigma and I think he'll play a huge roll in the conclusion of the story.

One of the most talked about aspects of Paranormalcy, the bleeps, was all but gone in Supernaturally. A few thrown in at key moments, but without Lish around the bleeping seemed to wane. Personally, I liked the shift away from the bleeps. They were an excellent idea in the first book, but continuing them at the same rate was going to start getting annoying quickly.

Supernaturally is very good, very interesting book and leaves certain questions begging for answers. The reveals in Supernaturally are decent, but I'm much more intrigued by what hasn't come to light yet. I will be impatiently awaiting the release of Endlessly.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supernaturally.