Ronyell's Reviews > Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Aug 14, 10

bookshelves: goodreads-group-reads, summer-100-book-challenge-2010, read-in-2010
Recommended to Ronyell by: The Children's Fiction Club
Read from August 03 to 15, 2010

“Diary of a Wimpy Kid” is a New York Times Bestselling book by Jeff Kinney and it details the hilarious adventures of Greg Heffley as he tries to survive middle school. “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” is a truly hilarious book that middle school children will easily love!

Jeff Kinney has done a brilliant job with both writing and illustrating this book. Jeff Kinney makes this story extremely hilarious and creative at the same time as Greg goes through so hilarious adventures such as hosting a haunted house during Halloween to doing a play on “The Wizard of Oz.” Greg is shown as a sarcastic and unhappy character as he views middle school as a hectic and horrible place since one day, he has an ambition that he thinks will come out successful and then the next day; his ambitions prove to be unsuccessful because of an unfortunate event. Jeff Kinney also did a great job at setting up the book to look like an actual notebook as there are notebook linings in the background and the handwriting looks like a young child’s handwriting which greatly contributes to the book’s creativity. Jeff Kinney’s drawings are hilarious yet simplistic as the characters are drawn similar to the characters of the “Peanuts” comics with Greg looking a bit like Charlie Brown as he has only a few strands of hair on his head and the drawings greatly contribute to the hilarious activities that Greg has during his life in middle school.

Parents should know that the main character Greg is a bit too insensitive to most of the people in his life, mostly towards his friend Rowley. Greg always seems to take advantage of Rowley’s naivety and that might entice some children to do the same thing to their friends. Parents should tell their children that it is not nice to take advantage of your friends and that you should try to treat them kindly.

“Diary of a Wimpy Kid” is a truly hilarious book about the trials of middle school that every child who suffer through the same situations will surely love for many years! I would recommend this book to children ages seven and up due to some suggestive humor.

There's also a movie on this that just came out:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie

I haven't seen it yet, so tell me what you think about this movie!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

08/03/2010 page 94
42.0% "This is pretty hilarious so far!!!"
08/05/2010 page 150
67.0% "Wow! I'm liking this book!!"
08/06/2010 page 224
100.0% "Finished!! Review soon to come!"

Brenda I saw the movie and like the cartoon Greg so much better. The scene in the movie where Greg's brother tricks him into getting up early before the first day of middle school is priceless! It is so what an older brother would do.

Ronyell Brenda wrote: "I saw the movie and like the cartoon Greg so much better. The scene in the movie where Greg's brother tricks him into getting up early before the first day of middle school is priceless! It is so..."

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I might see it! I agree the scene where Greg's brother tricks Greg into getting up early is hilarious!!