Rebecca's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Mar 08, 14

Recommended to Rebecca by: No one in particular
Recommended for: intellectuals and those with communist leanings
Read in January, 2000

** spoiler alert ** OK - I am really torn on what I think on this book. When I first read it, I was pretty much stupefied. It's a very liberating thought that you do not owe anyone else in the world any part of your life.
But upon rereading, it seemed simplistic, harsh, immature, judgmental and repetitive. Maybe in a perfect world, things would be just that simple, but really...
But,after all, I still can't let go of the 'wow' I felt after reading it for the first time. I rated it a three because even though it blew me away at first, there were whole long sections that I just skimmed because it gets pretty boring hearing the main theory beaten into the ground by using many, many, MANY different examples... its a thousand page book. Didn't need to be.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Ayn Rand
“If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders - What would you tell him?"

I…don't know. What…could he do? What would you tell him?"

To shrug.”

Ayn Rand
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

Ayn Rand
“There are no contradictions. If you find one, check your premises.”