Jim's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Oct 23, 14

bookshelves: classics, apocalyptic, 1paper, 2fiction
Read in January, 2007

I've read this a few times & it never fails to move me. Rand paints a very monochromatic view of the world - you either adhere to her ideal of integrity &, though the road is hard, find paradise or you're hopelessly lost in the general sea of humanity. I enjoy reading her philosophy books, although I need to keep a dictionary at hand - it's work. This is probably her best effort at putting her philosophy into a story that is both readable & speculatively fictional. It isn't a particularly pleasant story, but she does point out a lot of flaws in our current society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Doug Bradshaw Having raised a lot of kids and to some extent, some of their friends, I realized that there are plenty of people who don't really excel in business or become outstanding leaders or fit into the world of capitalism at the extreme. What's wrong with a great coach or teacher or others who aren't after the buck but who want to live a decent life? In fact, sometimes I feel some of them deserve far more than they get because to some extent, they are worth more to society and have a better life than men who are building huge empires. There has to be balance in the world and the titans of industry need to cough up and take care of the little guy. The portrayal of the control and ridiculous sanctions and rules imposed by the likes of Wesley Mouch is extreme, although it is out there and that also stinks. So, I still love the book and yet I wish it painted a better picture of how it could all be done better. Oh the horror of Atlas Shrugging!

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I'm with you, Doug. As a dilettante, interested in many things, pretty good at a few, I wouldn't make the cut in this novel. I have very little interest in money or power. I'm like seeing how things work, creating useful, beautiful things, & raising decent kids, not survival traits in her world.

Yeah, she's an extremist with a very narrow view of the world. Still, I think the points she makes are valid.