Jennie's Reviews > Vinegar Hill

Oct 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, read-in-october, read-in-2011
Read from October 02 to 04, 2011

I read this a few weeks ago, and I already can’t remember much of the book. I had to google the title to even remember the basic plot.

Basically, a married woman with two kids moves in with her in-laws when her husband loses his job. Living with in-laws seems to rarely be pleasant and when your in-laws still live in your hometown and used to abuse your husband – the situation is far from pleasant. Given the time period this book is set I knew she wouldn’t just put her foot down or rent her own apartment, but the whole time I just wanted to scream at this woman for letting these people treat her and her family like dirt.

The dark secret involves death (as most dark secrets do) but I had pretty much figured out what happened before I hit the mid point in the book. Frustration – that is all I felt and all I’m left with after reading this book. Frustration with the characters and no one stepping up and doing anything about their crappy lives. Frustration for wasting my time on such a lackluster book.

If you want to read a frustrating book – go for this one. Otherwise, I would skip it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vinegar Hill.

10/02/2011 page 41