Hetty's Reviews > The Other Boleyn Girl

F_50x66
Jan 12, 08

bookshelves: fiction-historical
Read in November, 2007

Oh, I was so sorry that this book was a disappointment. It has been a few months now and I immediately donated the book after reading, so I can't look at the book again. But my recall of my impression of this book was that, while there was a potentially interesting story here, the writing did not hold my attention. Written from the perspective and in the voice of the sister of Ann Boleyn, the style just felt flat and dull to me.

Also, perhaps a fault of my own lack of imagination, the world portrayed did not feel believable to me: Fathers who explicitly pimp out their daughters for political gain - even involving them in the discussions of intrigue and machinations? Such a loose and sexually liberal royal and upper class, so that sexual liaisons almost seem to supercede matters of state? And despite the sexual themes, no real depiction of the intimacies themselves. Which is not a complaint per se - I was not looking for a harlequin romance - but some of it was so obliquely described, I wasn't quite sure what was happening. But that, too, is possibly blamed on my own lack of imagination. The suggestion of incest, too, did not sit well with me. Maybe I'm just a prude. Except that I wanted more explicit sex scenes.

I'm now going to contradict my first premise that I did not like the book because the voice of the main character was a bit flat. But what I did enjoy about the book was the development of main character (I cannot remember her name right now. Mary?) and Ann. The author created an interesting dynamic between the two - building on their interactions as women, sisters, and rivals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Boleyn Girl.