Alyssa's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Jan 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: own, 2011-read, kick-ass, really-excited-for, ya-romance, great-books, highly-anticipated, mystery-suspense, ya-loved
Read from January 02 to 03, 2011

Good book, but I liked the wrong guy. Sorry, Cremer, but you made Ren more enjoyable. I’m so behind on reviewing that I thought I’d start with a book that’s easy for me to lay out.

In Calla’s world, she’s always known that her destiny is to life her life as co-pack-alpha with the sexy werewolf, Ren, and to lead the new pack. She never expected to fall for the gorgeous human guy she saved from the mountain one day, on patrol.

She never expected for everything to change.

Calla was a really strong character. She had the emotions to make her believable, she had the attitude to make her realistic and enjoyable, and the voice to make her someone to remember. She was someone I would look up to if I had the opportunity to be blessed by her company. She appeared to me like an average teenage girl with problems would, and I was actually very happy with her maturity and confusion over the issues she faced. I was glad she turned to her Scooby-Doo gang for help – go Ansel! – and I certainly liked how she wasn’t afraid to give up her pride in extreme times of need. Although she annoyed me a little bit with her whole Shay-obsession, she was a truly memorable character.

This book focuses almost entirely on its love triangle. And one hell of a love triangle this one was. Calla – and the reader – becomes caught between two wonderful guys (one more wonderful than the other) and it truly is a journey wandering through her gaze as she spends time with both. I wasn’t too happy with the male lead, though (Shay), mostly because I hate human guys when comparing them to the supernatural. I also didn’t like him too much because he influenced some of Calla’s stupidest ideas (I didn’t like the plot twist in the climax. More on that later) and he just seemed completely naïve in comparison to his competition, Ren, the all-awesome werewolf.

The pacing of this book is what made me knock it down star-wise. Everything seemed to be happening way too fast and even though I like quick paces, this one moved a little bit too quickly. Even though the action was fabulous and the plot was wonderfully unique, I found myself constantly wishing for Cremer to slow it all dooowwwwnnnn.

The climax – besides me other qualm – was fun and heart-pounding, and I keep wishing for more. That cliffhanger…hoo boy, I’ll be one of the first in line to grab WOLFSBANE.

Check out more here at my blog: http://bookbybooksummer.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

Quotes Alyssa Liked

Andrea Cremer
“Are you going to apologize for slapping me?"
"No."
"I didn't think so," he said.”

Andrea Cremer
“Ansel, I'm not the sun, stop orbiting and get in here.”

Andrea Cremer
“Ren watched us as he leaned casually against the table, holding a pair of scissors. I'd never seen a classroom tool look so dangerous.”

Andrea Cremer
“It's been a pleasure, she-wolf.”

Andrea Cremer
“That is exactly why you can't have me yet, Ren. I'm not going to share.”

Andrea Cremer
“Her attitude? You mean Efron enjoys spiteful bitchiness...”

Andrea Cremer
“The mouthful of turkey sandwich I’d bitten off caught in my throat when Ren rested his hand on my leg, his fingers exploring the curve of my thigh. I coughed and snatched the bottle of water from his other hand, taking several desperate swallows before swatting his fingers from my leg.
“Are you trying to kill me?” I choked the words out. “Keep your hands to yourself.”

Andrea Cremer
“The way you move is incredible.” Ren drew me back to press against him. His fingers slid down to the curve of my hips, rocking our bodies in rhythm with the heavy bass. The sensation of being molded against the hard narrow line of his hips threatened to overwhelm me. We were hidden in the mass of people, right? The Keepers couldn’t see?
I tried to steady my breath as Ren kept us locked together in the excruciatingly slow pulse of the music. I closed my eyes and leaned back into his body; his fingers kneaded my hips, caressed my stomach. God, it felt good.
My lips parted and the misty veil slipped between them, playing along my tongue. The taste of flower buds about to burst into bloom filled my mouth. Suddenly I wanted nothing more than to melt into Ren. The surge of desire terrified me. I had no idea if the compulsion to draw him more tightly around my body emerged from my own heart or from the succubi’s spellcraft. This couldn’t happen!
I started to panic when he bent his head, pressing his lips against my neck. My eyes fluttered and I struggled to focus despite the suffocating heat that pressed down all around me. His sharpened canines traced my skin, scratching but not breaking the surface. My body quaked and I pivoted in his arms, pushing against his chest, making space between us.
“I’m a fighter, not a lover,” I gasped.
“You can’t be both?” His smile made my knees buckle.”

Andrea Cremer
“What are you doing?” I tried to pull away, but his hand slipped from my hair to cup the nape of my neck.
When he whispered, his warm breath brushed over my lips. “Just let me kiss you, Calla. You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to. No one has to know.”
My lips parted as I drew a sudden, startled breath and in that instant his mouth was on mine, soft as velvet. I closed my eyes against the rush of a hundred wings that suddenly beat in my chest and soared through my body.
His scent was all around me. Leather, sandalwood, bonfires in autumn. He pulled back, but only for the sake of moving his lips to trail over my neck.
My blood was on fire and I was shaking. Is this really happening?
I couldn’t stop thinking about Shay in the clearing. About asking him to kiss me. The electric touch of his lips on mine.
But this is where I belong. I tried to push the memories back.
Ren stroked my knee, his fingers wandering up my thigh, sliding beneath the hem of my dress.
I grabbed his wrist. “Wait.”
He didn’t free his arm from my grasp but continued kissing my collar bone.
“Let’s skip the waiting part,” he murmured into my skin.”

Andrea Cremer
“Right.” He slowly stood up. “This is new territory for you. Stupid sequestering, the Keepers better not have turned you into a nun or something.”
I snatched a book off my nightstand and threw it at him. “Get out of my room!”
He caught the book in midair and laid it on the bed. “Easy, Lily. That was a bad joke. I didn’t mean any offense.”
I shook with humiliation. “You don’t know what it’s been like.”
“I know, and I’m sorry.” He came to my side and cupped my face. “I’m sure it hasn’t been fun. You deserve better.”
I nodded. He lowered his head, softly brushing his lips over mine. “I’ll show you how much fun it can be. You need to trust me.”

Andrea Cremer
“What’s three?” I asked, hoping to move away from this uncomfortable topic.
The smile pulled at his lips again.
“Three.” One of his hands cupped my face and the other slid around my back. He pulled my body against his and my heart began to pound. I took advantage of my free hand and pushed at his chest.
“I don’t think so, Lily,” he said. “If you want to get rid of me, you’ll need to do better than that.”
I drew a sharp breath and tried to wiggle away, but he held me firmly in place, watching me struggle. He grinned as he lifted me up onto the sink.
“What are you doing?” I started to panic. “Someone could come in!”
“If they see us, they’ll just turn around and get out of here,” he murmured, lips touching my ear. “No one crosses me.”
His hips pressed against my knees, opening them, pushing my skirt up my legs. I gripped his shirt, clinging to him so I wouldn’t fall into the sink. His hand pushed into my lower back. I gasped as his body fitted against mine.
Heat flooded my chest, my pelvis. I thought I would drown in it.
“We can’t—” His lips stopped my words. The kiss just made me dizzier. I dug my fingers into his shoulders.
“You said you didn’t want to be left alone.” His tongue flicked over my cheekbone. “This is me pestering you.”
“Aren’t you breaking the rules?” I could barely get the words out. “What about the union?”
“I’d rather have you on my own terms.” His hand slipped between my thighs.
All strength fled my limbs. “I can’t breathe.”
“That means you like it.” He kissed me again.”

Andrea Cremer
“I blushed when he stepped behind me, encircling my waist with his arms.
His lips brushed against my ear. “I believe the answer that will not get me in trouble with you is: the happiest day of my life. Or something along those lines. Definitely not the end of my carefree days or when I get a ball and chain. Hmmm, I’m just realizing that I’m going to have to buy you birthday and anniversary presents at the same time. What a pain.”

Andrea Cremer
“Would you like to have dinner with me?”
“You mean go on a date?” I focused on stirring instead of my suddenly racing heart. “When?”
“Before the union. Have dinner with me and I’ll take you to Blood Moon for a couple of hours until it’s time for the ceremony.” His fingers moved from the pleats to the hem of my sweater, his hand slipping under the pale blue cashmere to stroke the skin of my lower back.
I gasped, caught his wrist in my fingers, and pulled his hand away from its provocative exploration.
“We are in class,” I hissed at him through clenched teeth.”

Andrea Cremer
“He leaned toward me, murmuring, “I think one-on-one sounds better, don’t you?”
His teeth gently caught my earlobe. All my muscles turned to liquid. I dropped the stirring rod and grabbed the edge of the table so I wouldn’t collapse.”

Andrea Cremer
“Tell me you’ll come back for the pack. For me.” His eyes were bright with tears. “I don’t want to lose you.”
tags: ren

01/02/2011 page 6
1.0% "Awesome so far."
01/02/2011 page 63
14.0% "Ren all the way. And I love Ansel. <3"
01/02/2011 page 98
22.0% "Aw-frickin-some. But I'm a bit confused with all these references to things I'm completely lost to." 1 comment
01/02/2011 page 204
45.0% "Ren is perfection beyond perfection. Damn Shay."
01/02/2011 page 289
64.0% "Dear Calla, It sucks that I have school tomorrow and can't stay up late reading. Sorry I can't continue reading about that little game you have going on with your 2 guys. P.S. Although there's no chance, I know, can I just recommend Ren?" 2 comments
01/03/2011 page 330
73.0% "YOU DON'T LOVE HIM!!!"
09/14/2016 marked as: read

Tommie It's funny that you say that. I wasn't really a huge Shay fan but I didn't like Ren until the last chapter or two. He came off as a jerky, near-rapist to me. He was constantly pushing at Calla, not at all concerned with what she felt or the rules they were supposed to be following. But towards the end he started to redeem himself.

Mikaela Tommie wrote: "It's funny that you say that. I wasn't really a huge Shay fan but I didn't like Ren until the last chapter or two. He came off as a jerky, near-rapist to me. He was constantly pushing at Calla, n..."

Tommie Mikaela wrote: "I can understand where you're coming from, but to me Ren seemed... misunderstood? (how cliche) Though I agree about the ending. My heart broke for Ren in the final chapters."

After finishing the book, I agree with you on the misunderstood thing. Especially once we meet his father and see what he has had to deal with at home. After that moment, my feelings for him started to change. And I really felt terrible for him at the end when Calla left. Who knows, if he had shown her the softer side of him earlier, she might not have fallen in love with Shay. Of course, then where would the book (and series) be. =)

Nina ♥ I like the wrong guy too! REN ALL THE WAY! :D

Alyssa Ren is the "bad guy", the guy we all know won't get the girl, the guy who's misunderstood - I like characters that have more colours than that. I usually don't like "the other guy" though, so it came as a surprise to me that Ren was so instantly liked.

I wasn't a fan for Shay because honestly, I don't like humans when they're against the supernatural hottstuff. Plus, he seemed a bit needy and not totally supportive of Calla.

Sashana I honest don't know if I'm a fan of Ren or Shay. But if I had to choose it'd be Shay. I just felt like the only thing Calla and Ren had going on was sexual chemistry.

Erin Def. see what you mean about Ren being more enjoyable. I think he jumped off the page way more than Shay, which normally would make me prefer him. Too bad he was so pushy.. I have to draw the line somewhere, and I thought he was too sexually aggressive for me to be okay with. Can't wait for the next book!

message 8: by Ishita (new)

Ishita Kaushik I had the same reaction, weirdly enough, as much as his character was written out to be as that of a player and stereotypical popular high school jock, his protectiveness towards Calla established in the first few chapters really appealed to me. Overall, I think I did end up liking Ren way more than Shay... :)