Vicki's Reviews > Lover Enshrined

Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward

Aug 03, 10

liked it
bookshelves: novels, part-of-a-series, trashy-romance, vampires-weres-monstery-types
Read on August 02, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I may have mentioned once or twice that I hate her language conventions -- from the way over the top slang to the mysterious Old Language that sounds like a mix between Russian and French, is written like a mix between Chinese and hieroglyphics, but manages to be pronounced exactly like the English word it shares a meaning with, with just an added silent "h" here and there -- but I never knew I could be so irritated with a writer until she introduced her "Texan" character. It's clear that Ward has never been to Texas, or met a Texan, or met a person who'd met a Texan. "W'all"? "There be"? She makes up shitty fake sayings, confuses the slang spoken by rural poor blacks in Alabama with anything remotely related to a white man who grew up on a ranch in Texas in the mid-20th century, and just generally makes my brain bleed out of my ears for the entirety of any "Mr. D" passages. Holy shit, Ward. What were you thinking? Do you not have a buddy who could call you on this? God.

Anyway ... did not expect this book to work like it did. They treat the red smoke as something so innocuous in all the other books, and now it's dangerously addictive and the obvious next step is H? I mean, the first time Wrath and Beth have sex he's smoking it to chill her out. Looking back on that through this lens, that's way date rapey and creepy now. But I don't mean to say that I didn't like the plot. I thought it was a pretty great way to take Phury -- who'd been the "together" brother in the books leading up to this one, especially as compared to Z -- to a more interesting place as a character. And his ongoing obsession with Bella was realistic enough to be uncomfortable, which I applaud. Cormia getting to know herself and the world after living on the Other Side was interesting in a lot of ways, both for the character and as a meditation on how perfect religious observance requires a negation of self that is actually really problematic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Enshrined.