P is for Polly's Reviews > Modern Man in Search of a Soul

Modern Man in Search of a Soul by C.G. Jung

May 06, 12

bookshelves: dreams, prayer-faith
Read in January, 2010

"....But we cannot life the afternoon of life according to according to the programme of life's morning--for what was great in the morning will be little at evening, and what in the morning was true at evening will have become a lie....After having lavished its light upon the world, the sun withdraws its rays in order to illumine itself....Whoever carries over into the afternoon the law of the morning--that is, tha aims of nature--must pay for so doing with damage to his soul..."

"Since the mind of the child grows out of the unconscious, its psychic processes--though not as easily accessible--are not as difficult to discern as those of a very old person who has plunged in again to the unconscious, and who progressively vanishes within in it. Childhood and old age are the stages of life without any conscious problems..."

Published in 1933, Jung's work explained and diagramed the working of the unconscious side of the mind. There is almost nothing in modern or postmodern thought that Jung did not predict here in one of his most readable books. As a writer for children, people who live on that rainbowed bridge between the conscious and the unconscious, I find Jung is one of the most thoroughly helpful mapmakers for me; someone writing travelbooks about that Neverland called the unconscious which, like most adults, I only remember as a dream.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Modern Man in Search of a Soul.