Jamie's Reviews > The Slave Next Door: Human Trafficking and Slavery in America Today

The Slave Next Door by Kevin Bales

Sep 01, 10

Read from August 03 to 26, 2010

I chose this book from a a cartful of new books because, well, the title and cover photo and book cover blurb caught my interest. After all, who thinks about slaves in American society today? I've read about tomato laborers in Florida who get locked up in trailers, and foreign women tricked into becoming sex slaves, but this book is a real eye-opener. The first half of it is very readable and shocking. It discusses domestic slavery, labor slaves, and sex slaves and includes many anecdotes that will arouse anyone's sense of indignant outrage. How can this be happening here? Why aren't we aware of it? Why isn't anything being done about it? While clarifying that a very little percentage of what we buy is produced through slave labor, it manages to paint the picture that slaves are everywhere, all around us, and that our legal and law enforcement systems are not adequately prepared to handle these types of cases when they are exposed and prosecuted. Many states think it's a federal problem, and state laws vary widely from one to the next. This book provides a good overview about some of the difficulties involved in pinpointing and prosecuting human trafficking, and raises awareness of something very invisible in our society.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slave Next Door.