Allison's Reviews > Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk

Please Kill Me by Legs McNeil

Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: whatever-dude
Read from August 03 to 07, 2010

Looking for a living testimony that profoundly tedious, utterly disenchanting, and all-around miserable SOBs can create vital and interesting scenes? Here you go! Pretty miraculous, when you think about it. I guess all of the redeeming qualities went into the art. Skimming this and looking forward to the parts about Patti Smith and Nirvana.

8/7/10: Done! What I learned from this book:

Just because a book has a chapter titled "Nevermind" doesn't mean that it will feature Nirvana.

Factor that and the parts about Patti Smith, and the Sex Pistols, and I guess it wasn't a total waste of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Kill Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg Powers You might be as pleased as I was to find out that Patti Smith was (and is, I have gathered from my experiences seeing her live) a total fangirl nerd. It's great!

message 2: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison Yes, she's always been big on the hero worship, which is a comfort, since so am I. Angela Bowie's take on David Bowie and Iggy Pop is pretty priceless, too. But, lordie, what a tiresome bunch. In a way, I'm sorry I picked this book up--laws, sausages, and subcultures, I guess.