Whitney Hannaford's Reviews > Burning Bears Fall from the Sky: My Amusing Story about Relocating from a Desk in San Francisco to a Remote Mountain in Northern California

Burning Bears Fall from the Sky by Peter Edridge

Aug 03, 2010

bookshelves: read-again, personal-journey, self-discovery, read-it-in-2010, humor
Read in February, 2010

When I consider the books I've loved, the ones that have lasted through time, what comes to mind are stories of great journeys that are both internal and external. I like the journeys to have strong stories, and hopefully humor - but if not, then at least some strong awakening, that on some level, awakens myself to new thoughts and new aspects of myself. Therefore, if you like Perry Garfinkel and Barbara Kingsolver, then you will like Peter Edridge.

What I loved about this book is that you are taken on a journey into the wilderness, and you watch a man and his wife start up a home from scratch - all from the safety of your own home. Beyond that, you are also introduced to a unique set of characters, who you will never meet, but who are as real as any odd creature you've noticed in your days. You know those people, the ones you quickly call your friend about. "You're never going to believe the strange person I saw..." What has really struck me, however, is how through the book, I have found inspiration. For me, it was an understanding that no matter what your age is, you can take up something completely new, move somewhere new, and find new aspects of yourself.

Many times, I found myself reading bits of this book out loud to my husband. There are so many funny stories! Overall, I have read the book twice (so far) and though it has been months since I've read it, I still think about it from time to time.

I highly recommend it because it will take you on a journey, too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Bears Fall from the Sky.