Jennifer's Reviews > The Blessings of the Animals

The Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle

Aug 04, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read from August 03 to 04, 2010

From My Blog...[return][return]The Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle is a beautiful woven tapestry of the many facets of love. Dr. Cami Anderson is a wife, mother, Veterinarian and a volunteer for the Humane Society. Cami believes her life is going fairly well until the morning she arrives home with a rescued horse and her husband Bobby announces he is leaving her and their 17-year-old daughter Gabriel. While the story is primarily told through Cami, the reader does get a glimpse into the lives of other narrators. Kittle does a brilliant job illustrating how love, marriage and commitment can indeed have many different definitions; it is all in the perspective. Cami’s parents are about to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary, her brother Davy and his partner Dave are trying to adopt, her best friend Helen appears to have a solid relationship with Hank, Olive is finally engaged to Nick, and finally Gabriella is trying to not only understand what is happening between her parents but is also struggling with her relationship with Tyler. Kittle’s characters are well defined, descriptive, easy to understand, care about (most of them) and relate with. The story lines are woven together, much as life is to form a rich narrative punctuated by the unconditional love animals are able to provide and the lessons they teach us, especially what Moonshot imparts to Cami. This is truly one of the most moving books I have read recently and I will be making certain every woman I know receives a copy; the novel is remarkable. The Blessings of the Animals is a beautiful and moving story of love, loss, forgiveness, and learning to move on. I would not hesitate to recommend The Blessings of the Animals to any reader but warn that Kleenex may at times be needed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blessings of the Animals.