Karen's Reviews > The Road Ahead

The Road Ahead by Bill Gates

F_50x66
Aug 03, 10

Read in July, 2010

I got this at a library book sale. It was written by Bill Gates in 1995 who predicted how computers, and especially the internet, would change the world. When I think about the state of the internet at that time, I am impressed at how well Gates anticipated many of the ways it changed my life.

Many breakthroughs like eBay developed as predicted, but it’s almost as interesting to see what things didn’t develop the way he thought they would. Some were attempted but haven’t really caught on (reviews of doctors and contractors, clothing tailor-made to your dimensions). Some have been predicted for decades but are hard to introduce because of the investment required by consumers (virtual reality, smart appliances). And others are areas where there’s a history of underestimating the complexity of the problem (computer “assistants” with sophisticated AIs).

Overall Gates struck me as likable and bright and I also enjoyed the personal tidbits about his childhood, career, and house. I would love to see a book by Gates now about where he thinks things are headed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road Ahead.