Leons1701's Reviews > Hitler's War

Jan 26, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: alternate-history
Read from August 03 to 05, 2010

Once again Turtledove demonstrates in a single book both why I continue to read his work, and why he is no longer near the top of my favorites list.

This is a big, audacious work, completely retelling the story of WWII from a slightly earlier starting point. So far, the alternate is convincing, neither side really gains much advantage out of the earlier start, the Allies are less prepared, but the Germans are forced to use earlier equipment as well, particularly the weak Panzer I. With a large cast of viewpoint characters scattered around the world, this is vintage Turtledove.

However, Turtledove is also in full repetition mode, annoying the reader by repeating virtually identical scenes and thoughts over and over. One character's later appearances all consist of sitting waiting for the weather to clear so he can fly, getting drunk, listening to the news and wondering how much of it is lies. Utterly interchangeable and doing nothing to advance the plot, they only serve to pad the wordcount and increase the authors paycheck.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler's War.

06/25 marked as: read