Guy Gonzalez's Reviews > Dreadnought

Dreadnought by Cherie Priest

Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: steampunk
Read from March 16 to 20, 2011

Everything that made Boneshaker such a great read -- intriguing setting, multiple storylines, engaging characters -- is weaved seamlessly into Dreadnought, but this time Cherie Priest takes her lead character, nurse Vinita "Mercy" Lynch, on an intense, cross-country journey that methodically reveals the much bigger canvas that is The Clockwork Century. And what a journey it is!

Starting in Richmond, VA, the opening two chapters are as emotionally engaging as the first 10 minutes of Pixar's UP, introducing Mercy and her connection to Boneshaker, setting the stage for the adventures to follow, and quickly establishing her as another strong heroine who can stand alongside Briar Wilkes, Lucy O'Gunning and Miss Angeline. In some ways it's even more character-driven than Boneshaker as the overt steampunk elements are more deeply infused this time around, without ever fading so much as to be simple window dressing. It's a case study in balancing compelling world-building with strong characters and underlying themes, all in the service of telling an engaging story.

I'm looking forward to even more stories in this setting, and I hope someone is working with Priest to expand it beyond books because The Clockwork Century is absolutely overflowing with transmedia potential. Hell, I'd like to LIVE there, but I'd settle for an RPG, some comics and short stories, and a good HBO series.

Recommended!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreadnought.

03/16/2011 page 45
11.0% "The first two chapters are emotionally engaging, with an impressive kick that reminds me of the first 10 minutes of UP. I'm hooked! (Again.)"
03/18/2011 page 210
53.0% "A case study in balancing strong world building and characterization in the service of an engaging story."