Josephine Myles's Reviews > Promises

Promises by Marie Sexton

Oct 23, 10

bookshelves: m-m, romance, contemporary
Read from October 03 to 04, 2010

This was one of those first person narratives that pulled me straight in and wouldn't let go until I'd finished the story. Jared is the only out gay man below the age of sixty in his small Colorado town, and Promises tells the story of his friendship and eventual romance with newcomer cop Matt. Matt is determined that he isn't gay even though he sends out odd signals at times, but the two men become fast friends.

One of the things I particularly enjoyed about Promises was the way the author confounded my expectations about the characters. Jared initially seems as if he is almost too good to be true, but as the two men attempt to build a relationship his shortcomings become all too apparent, and it's Matt's turn to shine. I loved the give and take in their partnership, and the kind of issues they faced rang all too true. Marie Sexton has a real gift for writing dialogue, and their conversations and disagreements are utterly convincing. She also doesn't forget the minor characters, who were all well drawn despite their relative lack of page space.

Aside from a couple of very minor narrative inconsistencies, I really can't fault Promises and I'm very much looking forward to reading more in the series. Matt and Jared are two men I'll enjoy spending more time with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises.