Shirley :]'s Reviews > The Rose that Grew from Concrete

The Rose that Grew from Concrete by Tupac Shakur

Sep 08, 10

Read from August 16 to 18, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The Rose That grew From Concrete by Tupac Shakur is a book of collection of poems that show the struggles in life, his inspirations, his emotions toward loved ones and his yearn for equality in life. Each poem gives off a different emotion from what he wants you to feel and each poem creates different meanings. Most of his poems come from his inspiration of the things he has been through in his life. He was seeking to become something in a time where color meant everything. He had no support along with him to encourage him to keep going but his dreams. He wanted to become "that Rose That Grew From Concrete." His autobiographical poem "The Rose That Grew From Concrete" is figuratively about himself. As he tried to birth something that wasn't meant to be.A rose cannot grow from concrete but for him it can. He can. He was the rose that grew from concrete. He grew to be an inspiring poet and artist from a place of no support and no help which is similar to concrete in the needs of a growing rose. I learned that even though your surrounding may not be of help to finding a good path in life but you can always make the decision for yourself and change for the better. I liked this book because each poem had a different and a real meaning coming from Tupac himself. I think that Tupac wrote this story combining his past and his feelings intensely. I would recommend this book to teens and people who have been through this kind of struggle because they can always change for the better and try and grow. One of my favorite poems in that book is;

"Where There Is A Will...."

Where there is a will

"Where there is a will
There is a way."

-Tupac Shakur
1971-1996

I think this really connects to his inspiration to chase his dream and never stop. And I think the determination that sprouted from him was caused by everything he didn't have and problems in his life. And his purpose was to have the better life he never had. And I think the dedication he put into trying to become what he became paid off.RIP.

My Favorite Quotes;

1) Poem:
What is it That I Search 4?

"Because it is invisible 2 the eye,
My heart must search 4 it blinded."

2) Poem:

Things That Make Hearts break.

"And people who dream with their eyes open."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose that Grew from Concrete.