Dav'ne (Davney)'s Reviews > Skeletons at the Feast

Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian

Aug 06, 10

Read from August 02 to 06, 2010

One of the few WWII books I've read that is told from the German viewpoint. The brutality is frightening even after all these years. I remember my German Oma had nothing but bad to say about Adolph Hitler. She still had family in Germany in the 50s and they didn't have anything good to say about him. I also had a friend in WI who was in her 70s and had been a Hitler youth. It was interesting to talk with her about how they never questioned and how the whole "Jewish situation" was not believed by so many for so long. Denial. I grimace at some of the descriptions, but I am reading this book with interest.

Finished late last night again. Mutti (the mother) is an interesting character. She believed in the Fuhrer, even had a crush on him, and Bohjalian's descriptions of her disillusionment and heartbreak as she learns the truths are real. To believe so trustingly in your government and leader and learn the horrific truth must have been devastating and horrible for the many good German people. Uri is a complex character, strong, conflicted, yet focused. I loved Theo and could just see his little earnest trusting face, becoming more confused and yet knowing as the family traveled further west.

Excellent read!
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeletons at the Feast.

Anne Van Dav'ne,

I just started this last night, and I like it! Anne

Losososdiane Excellent review and info. Mutti and Theo were my favorite characters. Oh, gosh, guess I must include Uri also. I heard many stories of survival during WWII while I was growing up in the 1950s. These characters seem very real to me.

Stephanie If you want a book written from the point of view of a German family, read "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.
Beautiful

Elise I also loved Zusak's "The Book Thief," but another notable one is Ursula Hegi's "Stones from the River"--also written from a German perspective.