BJM's Reviews > The Art of Detection

The Art of Detection by Laurie R. King

U 50x66
Aug 24, 10

Read from August 02 to 15, 2010

Hard to rate this book. Ultimately 4 stars because I really liked at least half of the book. Love the Mary Russell series, never drawn to the Kate Martinelli series, even after reading the first chapters of several of the books. Only read this one because of the cross-over storyline with the Mary Russell series.

Took me so long to read this book (as opposed to 2-3 days for a Mary Russell book) because until I hit the supposed Sherlock Holmes story in the middle, I just didn't care enough about the storyline or characters to pick it up again. (Plus I've been on vacation with little time for reading until now). So, 1-2 stars for the first third of the book, 5 stars for the Holmes story inset (that second third of the book felt like reading a Mary Russell book), and perhaps 3-4 stars for the last third of the book.

In fairness, I really enjoyed the parts of the last third of the book that dealt with solving Gilbert's murder case and the frequent references to the supposed Holmes manuscript that comprised the middle of the book, and I really enjoyed the twist at the end regarding how/who. But I just don't find myself caring about Lee, Kate, Nora, Al, or any of the relationships between characters in the book nor the modern-day politics in California. I'll follow that in the news, but don't enjoy it in my fiction though. Also not interested in police procedurals, but enjoyed the story more when solving the case seemed to come through brainstorms and reasoning connections/patterns, like Holmes and Russell do.

Perhaps I'd read another in the Kate Martinelli series if I'm REALLY craving a Laurie King fix before the release of The Pirate King next year, but more likely I'll try one of her stand-alones or just reread my Mary Russells.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Detection.